History of South Vancouver
- Total check-ins: 3
The City of Vancouver began in the 1870’s as Granville Townsite and in 1886 it incorporated with its current name. The area included much of East Vancouver but ended along 16th Avenue. South Vancouver, an independent municipality created in 1892, was built up in response to boomtown Vancouver’s population explosion and huge demand for more affordable housing. As such, it attracted the blue collar working class to its neighbourhood. It originally included the area from Point Grey to Boundary Road, until Point Grey broke off at Cambie Street in 1908.
Dense old growth forests, populated with bear, deer, and salmon streams gave way to a building spree in 1909-1912 centered around the North Arm Road (Fraser Street) and the new street railway system. A street car track on Bodwell Road (33rd Ave.) and on Ferris Road (49th Ave.) helped to fuel much of the development in the South Hill area. The first municipal hall was built in 1898 at Wilson Road (41st Ave). Close by was the police station, and firehall. In 1909, the area’s first permanent school building, South Hill Public School was built on the east side of Fraser Street.
In 1929, both South Vancouver and Point Grey amalgamated with Vancouver and instantly expanded the population to 240,000, making Vancouver the third largest city in Canada.
(source: MacDonald, B (1992). Vancouver, A Visual History. Vancouver, BC: Talon Books.)
(source: Vancouver’s Past, Raymond Hull, 1974, Seattle – University of Washington Press)